If you are ready to build a new home or preparing to make an addition to your existing home, you’ve come to the right place!
Doing your research upfront is the single biggest step to making sure that the job is done right.
Home building or remodeling companies are only as good as their reputation. Most companies are in business to stay and they can only do so to the extent that they have satisfied customers.
Do your homework and use this checklist to help you select a builder or remodeler.
1. Do they belong to a Home Builders Assocation? Members are respected professionals in their communities and have access to the latest industry information and training. They are invested in their profession and are committed to service, integrity and stability.
2. How long have they been in business? It typically takes three to five years to establish a financially sound business. Will they be around after the construction is complete to service any warranties? Do they have a permanent address?
3. Ask for references.
4. Ask to see jobs that are both completed and in process?
5. Are they accessible? Remember you will need to be in close contact with them throughout the construction process and possibly afterward.
6. Will they provide you with a clearly written contract? This will benefit both of you. Review it carefully.
7. Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids and always get more than one bid.
8. Ask if your contractor builds to Pennsylvania’s state-wide building code. If they use sub-contractors, do they also build to code?
10. Ask for an insurance certificate to verify current workers’ compensation and general liability insurance.